In many countries, the lack of a stable water supply is constraining living standards and industrial development.
Customer and industry need
Botswana is the world’s largest producer of diamonds (by value) and a major exporter of other natural resources. In the east of the country new mining ventures, power sector developments and a growing population are driving up the demand for water.
To manage demand across their extensive network, our customer needed an advanced configuration of both a local and remote pump station and reservoir monitoring with minimum commissioning time.
ABB Ability™ solutions
ABB Ability™ solutions for pumping stations and reservoirs include the ABB Ability™ distributed control system to monitor and control the facilities located along the 360km water network. The DCS architecture enables aggregation of data across distributed geographies and is ideal for applications such as the Botswana water network.
ABB and ABB Ability™ portfolio highlights:
- Core ABB Ability™ distributed control system
- Integrated control, electrical and instrumentation package
- Motors & drives
- Instrumentation equipment
Thanks to ABB Ability™ control system, the operator can control the entire operation from any of the four operation centers on the 360km distribution network. The operator has full visibility of:
- Water levels, pressures and flow
- All the automated valves and pumps associated with the pipeline
- Auxiliary equipment such as the pump station 11kV sub-station, dewatering system, the heating ventilation and air conditioning system, and fire and intruder systems