With 22,500 registrants, the Water Environment Federation’s (WEF) 92nd annual technical exhibition and conference drew one of the largest crowds in a decade as it continued to live up to its billing as the world’s largest annual water quality event.
WEFTEC 2019 also featured 992 exhibitors using 294,000 net square feet of space to showcase the latest developments, technologies and services for the water sector.
"The spirit of WEFTEC 2019 was amazing to experience,” said WEF Executive Director Walt Marlowe. “Each year brings a unique energy to WEFTEC and we are proud to continue to connect and engage water professionals."
WEFTEC 2019 highlights included:
- The announcement of the Water Security Grand Challenge prize. Through a video announcement, U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry announced the selection of the National Alliance for Water Innovation to lead an Energy-Water Desalination Hub that will address water security issues in the United States. Read more.
- Teams from Texas and Colorado winning the Operations Challenge Competition, which features some of the most elite operators in the world in a fast-paced, skills-based contest for wastewater and maintenance professionals. Read more.
- The recognition of 43 Utility of the Future Today recipients for transformational work in community engagement, watershed stewardship, and recovery of resources such as water, energy, and nutrients. Read more.
- Twenty-two municipalities and one university receiving recognition in the National Municipal Stormwater and Green Infrastructure Awards, which celebrate administrators of municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) that perform beyond regulatory requirements. Read more.
- The debut of the Workforce Pavilion, designed to address some of the water sector’s key issues in recruiting, retaining, and developing a prepared workforce.
- The 12th annual Community Service Project, which involved the installation of a rain garden at Maria Saucedo Scholastic Academy.
For full WEFTEC 2019 highlights and coverage, please visit weftec.org/now.
WEFTEC 2020 will be held Oct. 3-7, 2020 at the New Orleans Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. Planning is already underway, and 795 companies have reserved more than 284,000 net square feet of space. The 2020 Call for Abstracts is open and submissions will be accepted through December 2, 2019. Registration and housing will open in spring 2020.
For more information about the WEFTEC 2020 Call for Abstracts, please contact email@example.com. For more information about exhibition and sponsorship opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Water Environment Federation (WEF) is a not-for-profit technical and educational organization of 35,000 individual members and 75 affiliated Member Associations representing water quality professionals around the world. Since 1928, WEF and its members have protected public health and the environment. As a global water sector leader, our mission is to connect water professionals; enrich the expertise of water professionals; increase the awareness of the impact and value of water; and provide a platform for water sector innovation. For more information, visit www.wef.org.