Westerville, OH The National Ground Water Research and Educational Foundation has awarded a total of $7,000 to five students from its Len Assante Scholarship Fund, Foundation President Loyd Watson announced.
Katherine Anarde of Fowler, Colorado, won the Past President's Award—the top scholarship presented to the most qualified of the applicants. Anarde, who is attending the University of Colorado at Boulder to study environmental science, received $2,000 toward her education.
The other recipients are:
- Laura Valdmanis of Prior Lake, Minnesota: $2,000 for the Ora Lyons Scholarship named in honor of a former distinguished National Ground Water Association member. Valdmanis is attending the Hobart and William Smith College at Geneva, New York, to study environmental science and math.
- Kaylee Kooiman of Eugene, Oregon: $1,000. Kooiman expects to attend Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, to study computer science, engineering, or mathematics.
- Dustin Hicks of Centralia, Washington: $1,000. Hicks attends Montana Tech to study geological engineering.
- Jean Luc Hebert of Abbeville, Louisiana: $1,000. Hebert attends the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to study petroleum geology.
"There is no issue more important today than the availability and protection of water resources in America and throughout the world," Watson said. "With these scholarships, we want to encourage today's best and brightest students to pursue careers in the ground water professions. They can be part of the solution to the world's need for fresh water."
Scholarships are granted to full-time undergraduate students only.
SOURCE: National Ground Water Association
- Previous scholarship recipients are ineligible.
- Scholarships are granted to full-time undergraduate students only.
- The applicant must be entering a field of study that serves, supports, or promotes the ground water industry.
- The scholarship is available to high school graduates and students in college (four-year programs and well drilling two-year associate degree programs).
- A 2.5 GPA is mandatory for high school or college students.