Emerson Process Management Power & Water Solutions has a long and proud history of providing innovative solutions to help water and wastewater treatment facilities improve performance and decrease costs. With the release of two SmartProcess™ modules, the Economic Optimizer and the Global Performance Advisor, we continue that tradition. Introducing these modules to the water and wastewater industries is part of our ongoing effort to provide leading-edge technologies that translate into operational and economic benefits for municipalities of all sizes.
SmartProcess modules optimize control and monitoring of plant processes utilizing advanced control techniques, ensuring plant efficiency and decreased operating costs are attained within operational and regulatory limits. By building plant-specific models to simulate process variations and changing conditions, SmartProcess identifies the precise control settings for continuous optimal performance. The plant model incorporates self-learning features that enable it to adapt to long-term changes in the plant.
And, because SmartProcess modules are platform independent, they can be integrated into any vendor’s distributed control system or PLC network.
SmartProcess incorporates fuzzy logic, neural networks and model-based predictive controls, as well as other tools developed for the needs of water and wastewater customers. The software offers a comprehensive and proven optimization solution that leverages Emerson’s water industry expertise, project management experience and industry-leading software technology.
SmartProcess Economic Optimizer
The SmartProcess Economic Optimizer manages water treatment and wastewater treatment processes to minimize costs, reduce equipment wear and tear, and balance tradeoffs, such as low and high flow. In both water and wastewater treatment applications, the Economic Optimizer can be applied to many key areas of operation within the plant and throughout the water system, including energy management, chemical usage and pump optimization.
Using customized plant models, the Economic Optimizer enhances the performance of each separate process, making it possible to reduce costs while meeting continuous improvement goals. For example, the Economic Optimizer models the chemical usage for acids and bases for process utilization to adjust the pH, optimizing usage and minimizing operation above and below setpoint levels.
SmartProcess Global Performance Advisor
The SmartProcess Global Performance Advisor monitors and benchmarks equipment performance against design specifications. This package provides operators of water and wastewater facilities with the ability to quickly identify, then address, problematic areas, which then translates into improved equipment performance and reduced operating costs.
The Global Performance Advisor conducts online performance calculations for pump applications, including volumetric flow, head, input power, output power, actual and overall efficiency, deviations and many other areas. The package incorporates its own web server capability so that the graphics, trends and results can easily be shared throughout the organization.
- SmartProcess modules optimize control and monitoring of plant processes within operational and regulatory limits, enhancing plant efficiency and decreasing operating costs.
- Unlike steady state optimization products, SmartProcess modules dynamically optimize the process throughout the full plant operating range.
- Optimization results can be integrated directly into the existing control system for closed loop integration of optimal control setpoints and biases, or used for operator advisory purposes.
- Platform independent, SmartProcess can be applied to any distributed control system.
- From initial site assessment through final commissioning, SmartProcess offers a comprehensive and proven optimization solution that leverages Emerson's industry applications expertise, extensive project management experience, and industry leading software technology.
Click here for more information