xp2D For Overland FlowSource: XP Solutions
Please visit www.xpsoftware.com to download free trial versions of our water modeling software solutions.
Fully two-dimensional (2D) models have been widely used for modeling river and coastal hydraulics and recently have become a viable practical option for modeling urban floods. As a stormwater management tool, 2D models are more accurate and produce results that are more readily accepted and understood by managers, decision makers and other stakeholders.
Recent flooding events have revealed the need for comprehensive flood models. Now with xpswmm/xpstorm Version 10 and higher, users have all the tools needed to predict the extent and duration of flooding to assess the ability of technologies and management practices to mitigate flooding.
xp2D is based on the TUFLOW program developed by WBM Oceanics Australia and The University of Queensland. TUFLOW has been the subject of extensive testing and validation. It is specifically orientated towards establishing the flow patterns in coast waters, estuaries, rivers, floodplains and urban areas where the flow patterns are essentially 2D in nature and would be awkward to represent using a 1D model.
XP Solutions has incorporated the TUFLOW engine into a user-friendly graphical interface which walks the user through preprocessing of input data and the calculation of the model. All of xpswmm and xpstorm's familiar tools for generating tables, graphs, and animations are available for reviewing, analyzing and presenting model results. New 2D and 3D animation tools make it easy to present results to managers and decision makers.
A powerful feature of xpswmm or xpstorm with xp2D is its ability to dynamically link to any 1D (quasi-2D) model in an integrated fashion. The user sets up the model as a combination of 1D network domains linked to 2D domains as single model. Enlarge Image.
xp2D is ideal for the following applications:
- Analyzing Trouble Spots in an Existing 1D Network - simulating surface flooding, its flow path and its recession after the storm.
- Analyzing Tidal Surges, Dambreaks and Breaches on 1D Storm/Sewer Networks - the impact of surface flooding on an existing 1D network can be simulated far more accurately.
- Analysis of Dual Drainage - modeling of a road/subdivision design is enhanced with the ability to interactively simulate the surface flows in 2D and the 1D stormwater/sewer network.
- Analysis of Broad Surface Drainage - perfect application to design and analyze drainage of carparks, commercial sites, golf courses, etc.
- Analyzing Impact of Flooding of Non-Connected 1D Models - ideal for analyzing the impact of cross surface flooding on adjacent non-connected 1D models such as parallel rivers, drainage canals, irrigation systems, etc.
- Flood Hazard Mapping - A perfect tool to map the extents of surface flooding (depth and velocity) that can be used to develop emergency response procedures and to design engineering solutions to mitigate the impact of the flooding.
How to get xp2D
xp2D is available as an add-on to any xpswmm or xpstorm Version 10 license and higher.